Monday, March 31, 2008

My first few days in Nagayo Nyu Town(Suburb of Nagasaki)

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days, I had to get myself re-established and there were a few days I was busy. The cherry trees (sakura ki) are starting to come into full bloom. I've been getting to try many different Japanese dishes, my most favorite foods are Ramen and sashimi(raw fish). The fish is very fresh here in Nagayo and it tastes delicious with soy sauce. Tomorrow I go to register for my Alien Registration Card, which basically allows me to become a temporary citizen of Japan(more or less). After that I'm taking a bus and tram to downtown Nagasaki to meet up with the other students for a cherry blossom viewing party. It will be my first time in downtown Nagasaki and it should be a lot of fun. They have a really good bakery on my way to the bus stop for school, and it's all pretty cheap. One thing I have noticed is I've cut my sugar/carbohydrate intake in Japan by like 60% or so. Chalk it up to the protein, whoo! We'll see what this holds for me when I return to America.
A word of warning to everyone, I will be staying with a second host family from April 1st to April 6th while my host mother Kiyoko takes her grandson Nozomi on a small vacation. The school year just ended for him today. While I'm with my second host family, I'm not sure if I'll be able to easily access the internet, so if you don't see an update here, that's why. It should be fun as I will get to explore more of the city this way. Hopefully while I'm in downtown Nagasaki tomorrow, I can get the rest of my money changed to Japanese yen and then I'll be able to do some shopping( The stores here are amazing) Until then, Ja ne mina san! (If you see differently colored text, click on it as it's a link to a photo.)



No comments: